Ruminations

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Perfect Oatmeal Coookies

I've tweaked the original recipe so many times that the final product has morphed into an entirely new recipe - so I'm claiming it as my own (although I wouldn't be surprised if there is an identical recipe out there somewhere - there are so many!). I'm posting it as a doubled recipe because this is how I always make it, but feel free to halve it. I bake a pan at a time, leaving the unbaked dough in the fridge or freezer. Nothing like freshly baked cookies! This will last my family all week. The changes help the cookies bake at our higher elevation.

Cream together until well blended:
1 cup real (salted) butter, softened
1 cup butter-flavored (or white if that's all you have) shortening
3 cups packed brown sugar (dark is best, but light is fine, too)
1 cup white granulated sugar

Add and mix:
4 eggs
2 tsp. Vanilla

Stir in:
4 cups bread flour (AP is okay, too)
2 tsp. Baking soda
1 3/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. Baking powder (this helps the cookies not be so flat at this high elevation. If elevation isn't an issue, the. Omit baking powder and increase salt to 2 tsp.)

Finally, add:
6 cups quick cooking oats
Optional: chocolate chips to taste.

Bake at 350 in a convection oven for 7-9 minutes or in standard oven at 375 for 8-10 minutes.
Since Jeff likes cookies nice and soft (I call it "warmed up cookie dough), we go for the 7 minute bake. I like them crunchier myself. And we all like just the dough.

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment