1. Cut the chicken into thin strips about 2 inches long. (It’s easiest to do this if the chicken is slightly frozen). Add the light soy sauce, rice wine or sherry, sesame oil and the cornstarch. Marinate the chicken for 20 minutes.
2. While the chicken is marinating, prepare the other ingredients: Combine the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
Chinese Noodles: Cook the noodles in boiling water until they are cooked al dente (tender but still firm). This will take about 3 minutes for fresh noodles, and 4 - 5 minutes for dried noodles. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again.
Spaghetti or other thin noodles: cook al dente in salted water according to package directions. Drain, rinse briefly to stop the cooking.
3. Cut the carrot into thin strips to match the chicken (Or use matchstick carrots - MUCH easier and faster). Rinse the mushrooms under running water to remove any “tinny” taste. Drain thoroughly.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium high to high heat. Add the garlic, stir-fry for a few seconds until aromatic, then add the chicken. Stir-fry the chicken until it changes color and is 80 percent cooked. (If you need more oil, try adding 1 tablespoon water). Remove the chicken and clean out the wok.
5. Heat 2 tablespoons oil and the salt in the wok. Add the carrots and mushrooms. Stir-fry for 1 minute, then add the chicken. Add the noodles, stirring to mix in with the other ingredients. Add the sauce into the wok, mixing with the other ingredients.
6. Cook for 2 more minutes. Taste and add salt or pepper if desired. Serve hot.
February 19, 1988 Friday[Sue]'s here! We just got back from the meeting. It was okay. I hope Sue liked it. She's talking about it right now. The Elders are the BEST! They're coming over tomorrow. Oh, Sue and I are going to the Snooty Fox, a restaurant down the street, for lunch! We're going to wear bow ties, black pants, and white shirts.February 20, 1988 SaturdayTomorrow is the last day of vacation. I want vacation to go on, but I want to go to school because my friends are there. Sue and I had fun at the Snooty Fox. The Elders came over today.February 22, 1988 MondaySue was a real jerk until the last two periods.February 23, 1988 TuesdayNo one likes me anymore. It was awful. What did I do that was so wrong?March 1, 1988 TuesdayI went to sit with my friends. They picked up their books and walked off to another table and left me by myself. I just sat there, feeling miserable and rejected. What did I do wrong?...I was reading the scriptures, looking up "loneliness", when all of a sudden a feeling came over me that God loves me and doesn't want me to be lonely. No matter what happens, He loves me. Even if everyone rejects me, I still have a friend. He loves me. Thank you, Father. I love you, too.