Ruminations

Monday, April 19, 2010

Groats for Breakfast!

My favorite breakfast food is boiled oat groats. I scoop 2 cups of groats into a medium sauce pan (pot), and boil the groats, keeping them covered with water (I have to add water occasionally), and stirring often. It takes a good hour or so before they're soft enough to my liking. Ladle out 1/2 cup or so of groats into my cereal bowl, add salt (some people might prefer brown sugar), cold water to cool it down (or milk, if I'm feeling decadent), and dig in. Yum. Groats fills up the corners of my stomach, as my sister-in-law once said.
What exactly are groats and, as my kids love to ask, are they gross? Groats are unrolled, uncut oats. Like wheat berries are to wheat, groats are to oatmeal. They plump up nicely to a chewy, soft cooked cereal. I could eat them for every meal and every snack, but nutritionally they wouldn't fill all my needs. They do make me happy, though. And no, groats are definitely NOT gross.
Refrigerate the rest for future breakfasts. Or snacks. Or other meals.
Here's some info from Arrowhead Mills Oats Groats:
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1/4 cup (42.0 g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories
160
Calories from Fat
27
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
3.0g
5%
Saturated Fat
0.5g
2%
Total Carbohydrates
28.0g
9%
Dietary Fiber
4.0g
16%
Sugars
1.0g
Protein
7.0g
Vitamin A 0%Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 2%Iron 10%

No comments:

Post a Comment