Ruminations

Friday, May 27, 2011

Water water everywhere

Summer vacation began with a windchill of 33F today, winds up to 50mph (gusts), clouds, and chance of rain. Gotta love Rexburg.
This is a view of the watered valley from the top of the Menan Butte (the "R" Mountain) on an early morning run last week. There's even more water now.
Jeff's been at his parents' cabin most of his free time this week (and the week before, and the week before that). The river runneth over, and so he has to tend the pumps. He's keeping the water at bay, but just barely. I guess we should be grateful for cool temperatures so that the snow pack doesn't melt too quickly! I suggested taking the family to the cabin so we could spend time together, but Jeff is worried about safety with the water so high and so fast. So what to do for Memorial Day that will keep us sort of close to home in case the water rises? I don't know. Go bowling, I guess.
It's 1am so I'm going back to bed, but I did want to remember a cute Charlotte story. She opened a fortune cookie this week and had me read it to her: "There is a pleasant surprise in store for you." She was thrilled and wanted to go immediately to the store to get her pleasant surprise! She was not happy when I tried explaining to her that there wasn't really a surprise at a store... Personally, I think 3 year olds are too young to have their fortunes told.

2 comments:

  1. That is such a cute story! I agree with you. Three years old may be a bit young. One time, as a teenager, I was at dinner with a friend. She opened her fortune cookie first, and it said, "Soon you will have great fortune!" We had a good laugh, and then I opened mine, "A friend's good fortune will soon benefit you." We still joke about it. I hope you have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tee-hee :) That made me laugh, Leslie. So I wonder if I got a whole bag of fortune cookies if I could pick and choose which fortunes to take? So nice to hear from you!!!

    ReplyDelete