Ruminations

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Scottish Shortbread YUMMMM!

Running: Ouch. Ouch, ouch, ouch OUCH. I managed to put 5 miles in but it was a struggle. How in the world am I going to run a marathon on Saturday???? Maybe I won't. Maybe I'll start and not finish - and get my first ever DNF (Did Not Finish). And that's okay. I'll do what I can.

Recipes: This has got to be the easiest dessert in the world. And probably the tastiest & unhealthiest. Oh, well.

Scottish Shortbread w/Chocolate

4 C. Flour

1 C. Granulated Sugar

2 C. Butter (no substitutes)

Mix flour and sugar. Soften butter and cut into dry ingredients with a pastry cutter - or knead and combine with fingers. Pat dough into large jelly-roll/cookie sheet until evenly covered. Prick dough with fork every couple of inches. Bake 25-30 minutes at 325.
As soon as it comes out of the oven, you can dust with powdered sugar or drizzle chocolate (which is the way we like it).

Chocolate: Melt 2-3 cups chocolate chips (we like semi-sweet) and 1-2 Tbs. shortening in microwave until melted completely (about 2 minutes). Stir until smooth. Drizzle chocolate by the spoonful over the shortbread in a lattice pattern - or however you like.
If you use white chocolate or vanilla chips, you will have to add quite a bit more shortening to make it smooth and runny enough to drizzle.
Let cool for several hours for chocolate to harden.

Reading: Today I started Magyk, by Angie Sage, because my son Samuel (age 10) recommended it. If he likes it, then that's good enough for me to give it a go. So far so good (all 15 pages I've read so far).

Ruminations: Another busy but good day, despite the continual rainy weather. I took the kids to the local University's indoor track during the open-community hour at lunch time. They had fun running and playing and getting out their wiggles. A trip to three stores (including a bookstore) filled our afternoon, and we came home bearing the spoils of our travels: five new books. I love books. I love that my kids love books.

But, since the sun decided to shine right when we got home, we put aside the books and played outside. I love the sun. I love when my kids play outside.

We're joining some friends for a Family Night dinner and hike tonight. Even if the mountainside is muddy, we're going to get out and enjoy the wildflowers, by golly! I'm tired of being stuck inside. The husband, by the way, is my old geology professor from about 18 years ago. I followed him down the Grand Canyon for a three-day trip, and up in the Tetons, and through various other National Parks (Arches, Canyonlands, etc) to learn hands-on about geology. That was really cool, although I don't remember much of the science. It's been a long time. But I do remember the experience - and it was definitely one of the highlights of my life.

Talk about a walk down memory lane! What a fun time. There is just a tiny sting, though, every once in awhile when I remember the neat things I've done. I'm not doing them now. Not traveling to exotic places, summiting any peaks, or experiencing different cultures. I'm not getting graded, or finishing big projects or practicing law. But I am in charge of the lives of four very wonderful, very amazing, real live people. Living my life for them is hands-down more challenging and more satisfying than just living life for myself. And who knows? Maybe someday I'll lead them - or maybe just cheer them on - up the peaks, down into the canyons, and to the other side of the world...








No comments:

Post a Comment